RMB Latitudes CuratorLab
A practice-based, online residency for emerging curators from Africa
Latitudes CuratorLab is a practice-based, online curatorial residency for emerging curators in Africa. In 2023, ten aspiring curators will be guided through a facilitated online residency, designed to offer practical experience in the industry and to hone their curatorial skills.
Here at Latitudes, we know that programmes focused on fostering professional practice skills for young curators on the continent are slim. For the second iteration of CuratorLab, we are extending our reach to offer the opportunity to Curators from not only South Africa, but Botswana, Ghana, Nigeria, Namibia and Mozambique too. No formal training is needed and practical curatorial experience is preferred.
As one of 10 curators selected for the RMB Latitudes CuratorLab, you will be offered the following opportunities:
- Plan and conceptualise your own show, centred on artists from your community, that will be hosted on Latitudes Online
- 1-on-1 mentorship by a highly recognised curator in the industry as well as with Latitudes curators
- A curator profile on Latitudes where you may promote, exhibit and sell your own selection of works
- Networking and peer-review sessions with curators from the continent
- Curatorial professional practice sessions and handbook
- All of the above will be conducted in 7 online sessions hosted weekly
As part of the programme, you will be offered the following professional practice skills while curating your show:
- Understand the industry on the continent and the diaspora
- Curatorial professional practice; including proposal writing, the conceptualisation of curatorial statements, catalogue and pricing structures and managing relationships
- Getting out there, marketing yourself as a curator
- Digital curation development
- Key administrative skills
- Free curators profile on Latitudes Online
- Comprehensive marketing campaign and exposure to our database of over 15,000 newsletter readers
- Commission on all artworks sold as well as logistic and administrative support
- R1500 stipend to cover data costs
- Plus you get to keep and update your profile as long as you like!
- Mentorship and show planning will run from 26 January - 5 April
- Shows on Latitudes launching 5 April and running for 6 weeks
Applications have now closed.